Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Chili Take 2 : White Chili



Now, I have been wanting to try this one for years and I've never gotten around to it. All of the pictures I have seen have just made me drool though, so I was determined to give it a try. For this one I didn't follow a specific recipe, there are some aspects of the Kerrygold recipe in there as well as some others that I found. Mostly, if I liked the idea I put it in there. My biggest problem, it wouldn't thicken, so I ended up taking a trick from one of the premade chili kits I had and added a packet of masa ( or corn flour) this stuff worked perfectly and I ended up with a nice thick chili that was colorful and delicious.

Three bean Chicken chili


1 lb. chicken breast, cubed
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large white onion, diced
1 yellow pepper diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
3 stalks celery, diced
1 small can of mild green chiles (with liquid)
1 can Great Northern beans, drained
1 can navy beans
1 can cannaleni beans
28 oz chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
green tobasco for kick


Heat the olive oil in a deep sauté pan. Sauté the onion, garlic, celery, and pepper together. When onions and celery are soft, add the chicken and sauté for a few minutes. Pour in the beans, broth, and chilis. Bring the contents to boil and season to taste with salt and pepper and add the rest of the seasonings. If it is not thickening, use a tablespoon of Masa (corn flour).Reduce to simmer and cook for 45 minutes until the liquid thickens to desired consistency. Serve with jack cheese and tortilla chips or fritos.

No comments:

Post a Comment