Monday, June 1, 2009

And we're back. with Potato Salad

I admit, I was a little off my game in May. The only posts I really managed to get through were my posts for the Bostonist. But this is a new month and I am going to blog if it kills me.
So, to start off what should be summer ( its around 62 here in Boston) I made my favorite type of summer treat. Potato Salad. Now some people don't like potato salad, maybe its the eggs, maybe its the mayonnaise, maybe its the onions, but I love it! And I've spent some serious time taking my mom's potato salad and jazzing it up with innovations from friends and cookbooks until I have a potato salad recipe that is solely my own. So without further adieu, here's my potato salad.

Red Potato and egg salad (serves 6)

12 small red potatoes
1 small red onion
a small bunch of fresh chives or scallions
5 eggs
4 stalks of celery
mustard
mayonnaise
red wine vinegar
celery salt
salt
pepper
sugar

Finely dice the celery and onion and set aside.Prep the potatoes by peeling off any eyes or unappealing looking skin. You can leave the rest of the skin on for texture. Slice the potatoes into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces and boil them until they are just soft enough for a fork to pierce them. Don't let them get too soft or you will have mashed potato salad.Then transfer them to a collander
While the potatoes are boiling, hard boil the eggs (around 12 minutes after the water is boiling). Peel the eggs and transfer them to a small bowl. Smush the eggs into tiny pieces with a fork ( as if you were making egg salad). Then add mayo, mustard, celery salt, and red wine vinegar until you have achieved a kind of watery but very intensly flavored egg salad. If you think you have enough mustard, add a little more.

Next pour the egg mixture over the still slightly warm potatoes and mix thoroughly, then add the onions and celery. And finally, using scissors cut small pieces off of the chives and mix them in until they are relatively uniform throughout. Then season to taste with salt, pepper, mustard sugar and red wine.

I do appologize for not having specific measurements for the different flavorings but I swear it is different every time. If I come up with something consistant I'll update it here.

Garnishing Tip: If you get the chives out of your garden, you can use the flowers as a garnish!

No comments:

Post a Comment