Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Aquitaine in Chestnut Hill, a Lovely Dinner

Last week was just rife with Dinners out, but my favorite of the week was the one I had at Aquitaine Bis. They were running a Restaurant Week Rehearsal menu alongside their regular menu and while I only ordered my entree off of the restaurant week menu between the four people we had at our table, the entire restaurant week menu was ordered. Before I get into that let me say a few things about Aquitaine in Chestnut Hill. This is a great little French bistro. They have daily specials that change with the seasons, and their standard menu is well balanced and delicious. Their food is consistently good whether sampling the specials or ordering off of the regular menu. I would recommend their steak frites above all of the others I've tried in the city.

I am also an enormous fan of their pastry chef. At most restaurants, I go straight for the chocolatyist thing on the menu. However, after trying a bite of my friends dessert once I have become addicted to their Tarte Tatin. It is to die for. I don't usually go to restaurants, other than Finale, just for dessert but I have done just that for Aquitaine's Tarte Tatain.


Back to Restaurant Week.
Aquitaine's Restaurant Week Rehearsal menu

appetizer

CRISPY EGGPLANT NAPOLEON
WITH CONFIT GARLIC CHEVRE, WILTED SPINACH AND SWEET PEPPER COMPOTE

Or

BREAD AND BUTTER SALADE
BIBB LETTUCE, BABY TOMATOES, PANCETTA GARLIC CROUTONS, TOASTED PINE NUTS AND CREAMY GORGONZOLA DRESSING

entree

CONFIT DUCK LEG CHOUCROUTE
WITH HARDWOOD BACON, GARLIC SAUSAGE AND GREEN APPLE SAUERKRAUT

or

BUTTER BASTED DAYBOAT COD
WITH A SWEET CORN RISOTTO CAKE AND ROASTED PEPPER CRÈME

dessert

CHOCOLATE BREAD PUDDING
WITH BANANA BAVARIAN CREAM

or

WHITE PEACH COBBLER
WITH CINNAMON ICE CREAM

The eggplant Napoleon was a delightful balance of textures and flavors. The crispy eggplant was a pleasant surprise paired with wilted spinach and ricotta cheese. Accenting this salty tower was a sweet pepper compote that added a hint of smoky sweetness that frankly made the dish. The Duck Confit was another exercise in well balanced salt and sweetness. I think without the apple sour kraut the duck and sausage would have been overwhelming but instead the dish was the perfect combination of flavors. The dessert was a little disappointing, White Peach cobbler with cinnamon ice cream. The flavors were somehow off. Maybe it was a bad ice cream pairing or the creamy cinnamon mixing poorly with whatever they used to spice the cobbler, or maybe it's that peaches aren't really in season. But considering the high bar that they have set for their desserts I was disappointed in this sub standard option.

While Aquitaine has a completely different menu slated to launch for restaurant week I am seriously thinking of going back before sunday for the eggplant napoleon and a quick tarte tatin.

I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who hasn't visited it before and if your restaurant week dance card isn't full you might try adding it to your list of restaurants to visit in the coming weeks.
Aquitaine has a location in Chestnut Hill and one in the South End.

No comments:

Post a Comment